You can’t keep yourself away from many interesting activities in Mauritius. There are plenty of water sports to get busy with. Many tours to explore the island. Or different activities to discover the underwater world.
No matter if you stay in the north, south, east or west of the island, you’ll always find something to do in Mauritius!
This island is surrounded by reefs that forms perfect lagoons and waves for kitesurfers. During the winter period (May – October) is when constant winds are blowing from 15 to 30knots, this playground becomes the ultimate destination for kite freestyle and wave enthusiasts.
The surf conditions for experts are around One Eye or Manawa. But passing the Tamarin, all levels can enjoy a sand bottom and the longest waves you can imagine.
Windsurfing is possible almost all over Mauritius. The only area where conditions are not favorable is the South and in some lagoons where it may be too shallow to windsurf during low tides. Winds blow all year, but the ideal wind and climate conditions for windsurfing occur during the winter months from May to October.
A genuine way to leisurely explore Mauritius is with a kayak. The tropical conditions of the island, including sheltered bays, make paddling easy and a whole lot of fun. Equipment is available at most major hotels and resorts.
Stand Up Paddle
When there is no wind for kiting or windsurfing, stand up paddling is a great alternative. It can be very relaxing in flat water or very exciting when you can surf waves.
Some more water activities like
- Jet ski / Sea karting
- Snorkeling – The simple action of breathing through a tube that that sticks out of the water while you observe the beauty that is under the water with exotic and colorful marine life. It is an extraordinary experience
- Parasailing – For those who cannot take a quiet suntan on the beach. You will be rewarded by a breathtaking bird’s eye view of sea and its beautiful underwater seascapes
- Undersea walk – This unique and exciting walk draws tourists from all over the world.
You walk on the ocean floor in weighted boots and with a transparent dome on your head
- Submarine safari – Diving in a semi submarine, you will visit all sorts of interesting sights. From a shipwreck to beautiful coral reefs
- Deep sea fishing – Great experience, fishing in the deep waters of the Indian Ocean. Possible catches: Yellow-fin Tuna, Wahoo, Sailfish, Bonito, some sharks species
- Catamaran trips – Mauritius offers a pleasant and relatively stable climatic condition to allow good navigation conditions throughout the year
- Glass bottom boat – Enjoying a glass bottom boat trip is a fantastic experience for the whole family
One great way to discover Mauritius is on foot. The island has a number of beautiful nature retreats that offer great hiking opportunities. For example, The Black River National Park in the southern west area, offers 65000 hectare of rare forest with 150 plant species and nine bird species found only on the Mauritian island.
With more than a dozen courses squeezed on to this tiny island, eight of them for championships, golf is a major attraction and business in Mauritius.
Cool early morning or late afternoon makes the perfect time for a ride on a horse along the beach with the most beautiful views.
Trekking / Mountain Climbing
On Mauritius Mountains, you can enjoy from a challenging climb to less challenging with a variety of landscapes, impressive fauna and flora and panoramic 360 degree views.
A particularly popular destination for abseiling is the Black River Gorges, which consist of climbing all the way up to the Machabe Forest, walking down again partly on foot, and then abseiling the rest of the way down to the waterfalls. Just make sure that you have a qualified guide to assist you the entire way.
With the wind ruffling through your hair and the nature just in a couple centimeters, it is a great way to explore the remotest places with the thrill of a quad biking.
The traditional art of archery can be practiced at a number of hotels and resorts in Mauritius.
Several hotels and resorts offer mountain bikes for rent, and these are generally for quiet rides. To really experience the interesting terrain of the island opt for guided tours. The beautiful landscape through lush vegetation and sightings of animals such as wild monkeys and bats in the area make this activity very popular.
The perfect way to get a better view of the island and have the best panoramic pictures is taking a helicopter trip.
If you are interested in knowing how the rum is made and seeing the machines in operation. A visit to the Chamarel Distillery would be a good idea. You will have a tour guided at the distillery and then, rum tasting. Whenever you understand English or French, it will be interesting, otherwise, the price is quite high for what you actually see.
You can do many tours around the island and always find beautiful Flora and Fauna
- Pamplemousses Botanical Garden
- Rochester Waterfalls
- Chamarel / Waterfalls
- Aldabra giant tortoises
- Fruit bats from Mauritius
- Earth of the 7 colors
Escape to Rodrigues
Less than 2 hours away is this island that is part of Mauritius but has its own personality. It enjoys an even more relaxed atmosphere and spectacular riding conditions. For those who have a little bit more time, spend some nights on this island will for sure enrich the trip.
Known as Rebel Island with volcanoes erupting, cyclones, sharks and giant waves. It is a French island which is about 45 minutes by plane from Mauritius. But the wind conditions for riding are perfect, this is other fabulous island for those who have a little bit more time that will enrich the trip.
You didn’t find your activity listed here or you want to promote it with a link and your own description? Get in contact here 🙂
More information about Mauritius
Visit the post of Mauritius, where you will discover some tips for the island, more information about all the spots for kitesurfing, where you can do some party and a lot more.
- Find out where the best kitespots around Mauritius are
- Looking for party? This island offers a variety of bars, pubs and nightclubs. Check out in this post the nightlife of Mauritius
- Would you like to learn kitesurfing? Don’t go without trying, Mauritius have some kiteschools, in this post you will find many of them
- Some sushi or Samoussa with cheese? Find the best cafés and restaurants in Mauritius
- This island has some shops where you can find all what you need for your equipment. Look for the kiteshops here
- Where to sleep? Mauritius has for all kinds of tastes, find nice accommodations like hotels or resorts that suits you here